< Back

Pannal Golf Club

Pannal Golf Club

Follifoot Road
Pannal
Harrogate
West Yorkshire
HG3 1ES
Tel: +44 (0)1423 872628

Visit our website to book direct Email us

Accommodation near Pannal Golf Club
Restaurants near Pannal Golf Club

Pannal Golf Club lies to the south of Harrogate amidst glorious countryside. It is one of the premier clubs in the North of England, founded on 28th June 1906, on land leased from The 5th Earl of Harewood, who became the Club President.

A 9-hole course was opened for play on 8th September 1906. The need soon arose for 18 holes and Sandy Herd, Open Championship winner in 1902, was retained to lay out the course. An Exhibition Match between James Braid and Harry Vardon signalled the official opening of the extended course on 11th April, 1908. In 1933 a scheme for course alterations was submitted jointly by Sir Guy Campbell and Major CA. Mackenzie giving Pannal a championship layout. The course which resulted has stood the test of time, challenging players of the highest ability to this day.

The total yardage of the course is 6622 with a SSS of 72 and a par of 72. Superb views further enhance the course which is laid out on a stretch of gorse-covered, tree-lined land. To the west in Wharfedale, the landmark Almscliffe Crag, to the north the Crimple Valley and viaduct made famous in Turner's painting and to the east, the rolling plains of York with views on a clear day of the Minster.

Pannal has held many Championships and one of the earliest was the English Women's Championship in 1927, and other notable events being PGA Matchplay, PGA Seniors, Ladies Amateur Championship, the British Youths, the EGU Logan Trophy and more recently the North of England Under 16 Championship. Many Yorkshire Championships have been held at Pannal and we are also an Open Championship Regional Qualifying Course.

Ping