< Back

Niddry Castle Golf Club

Niddry Castle Golf Club

Castle Road
Winchburgh
West Lothian
Scotland
EH52 6RQ
Tel: +44 (0)1506 891097

Visit our website to book direct Email us

Accommodation near Niddry Castle Golf Club
Restaurants near Niddry Castle Golf Club

There was an original golf club in Winchburgh at Faucheldean which appears to date from 1907 and lasted until the first war. The current site on Niddry Parks dates from 1926 when the oil company built a 7 hole course for the shale mineworkers with no visitors allowed. When the mines and 'bings' (slagheaps) closed in 1961 that was the end of the course and it reverted to grazing land for the Earl of Hopetoun.

The major player from the original club was Mr Scott who was club champion. In the early 1980's, Agnes Browning convened a meeting of the Winchburgh Community Council to propose that the golf club be re-formed on Niddry Parks. Following this, a committee led by Alan Lamont set about restoring the land to form a 9-hole course, and the course (desinged by Linlithgow G.C. professional Derek Smith) finally re-opened in 1984, 23 years after it was closed. The first captain W.E.G. Murray became the first Club Champion, and is now President.

Rapid development has happened since then, including a club-house (1991) and expansion to 18 holes (2003). The course is now in a beautiful parkland setting amongst the 'bings' of West Lothian.

Edale House