< Back

Leven Links Golf Club

Leven Links Golf Club

The Promenade
Leven
Fife
Scotland
KY8 4HS
Tel: +44 (0)1333 428859

Visit our website to book direct Email us

Accommodation near Leven Links Golf Club
Restaurants near Leven Links Golf Club

The championship course at Leven has been used many times as one of the local final qualifying courses when The Open Championship was played at St Andrews.

The extension to 18 holes took place in 1868. The inaugural competition over 36 holes played on Oct 2nd, 1868 was won by "Young Tom" Morris with a score of 170. It retained its layout until 1909 when pressure of players forced a division at the Mile Dyke. Lundin Links G. C. extending the eastern section and the Leven clubs taking over the football ground north of the bowling green, decanting the playing ladies to a new ladies course and renting further ground north of the then railway line.

As Ian Keenleyside wrote - The strength of Leven Links is in its succession of 'less easy' holes and the fact that one turns at the 13th into the prevailing west wind with a lot of work still to be done. At the end is the Home Green, prior to 1893 being small and square, but now a large putting surface fronted by demonic Scoonie burn. This wide natural water hazard described in the past as 'yellow as Pactolus or as black as Styx, or again, with the colour of Ketchup, the density of pea soup and the smell of Gaol fever'. Not quite as bad today but it will still take two superlatively struck shots to reach the putting surface in regulation.

The 18th hole is reckoned to be one of the finest finishing holes in golf.

Ping